This course, offered remotely via Zoom on Wednesday evenings, begins March 3 and continues through April 14.
In the Nalandabodhi Path of Study, Hinayana studies introduce us to Buddhism as a science of mind, or method of investigation. The study of the Hinayana is divided into two courses:
The first course (HIN 201) covered the ground or view of Hinayana. This second course (HIN 202) covers the Hinayana path and its results.
Kris Shaw will facilitate these classes.
In this time of uncertainty it seems fitting to look to the Path for dealing with suffering, adverse conditions, fear and also explore the Fruition of the Path.
In the Hinayana View class we looked at the constituent parts of our existence and our attitudes toward them, much like how an architect would look at the site and materials in planning a building. In this class we will begin to lay the actual foundation for bringing this view into our practice and into our daily lives. This foundation is the crucial support needed for continuing into Mahayana and Vajrayana. The future quality of Vajrayana and Mahayana practice will be enhanced and rely on our efforts here.
We will examine what it means to take refuge, what it means to develop discipline, samadhi or meditation and prajna or insight. We will have analytical meditation practicums on Shamatha, Vipashyana and the four reminders. The 37 factors of enlightenment will include the four correct efforts and the four powers. These all will be covered in practical and useful ways to enhance your daily practice. This is a how to do it class, it is how we bring the vision into life.
HINAYANA 202 – THE HINAYANA PATH AND FRUITION
- March 3 – Setting Out on the Path and the Practice of Nonviolence
- March 10 – Types and Techniques of Buddhist Meditation
- March 17 – Practicum – Analytical Meditation on the Four Reminders
- March 24 – The Foundations, Types, and Obstacles of Shamatha and Vipashyana
- March 31 – Practicum: Analytical Meditation on the Five Skandhas Not Being A Personal Self
- April 7 – The Paths of Shravakas and Pratyekabuddhas (Part 1)
- April 14 – The Paths of Shravakas and Pratyekabuddhas (Part 2)
Path of Study Coordinator: Susan Kirchoff
Register to receive the Zoom link and access to recordings of the class sessions.