Join us on Zoom for Mahayana: Compassion Without Limit.
This is a series of six Mahayana courses, on Mondays from 7-8:30 p.m. Pacific, beginning this Fall and continuing through June 21.
All Nalandabodhi students who previously have studied the Mahayana series are greatly encouraged to join this new, updated series of courses.
The second course, Kindling the Spark of Awakening, begins Sept. 28 and continues tHrough Nov. 23.
In the Mahayana teachings, we look at the possibility of limitless compassion and bodhichitta, the boundless intention to help all sentient beings. This motivation and its application are based on the crucial Mahayana notion that all sentient beings possess buddha nature, the potential to become a perfect buddha.
The studies of personal selflessness in the Hinayana are the jumping-off point for widening our vision to embrace the profound Mahayana selflessness of the “great emptiness” of all phenomena as well as the vast training and fruition of the path of a buddha-to-be.
This course is an updated and greatly-revised version of the Nalandabodhi Mahayana Series with many new materials based on talks by Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche and Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche, especially in the areas of mind training, Madhyamaka, Mind-Only, Yogachara, Shentong and Buddha Nature.
Pre-requisite: Introduction to Buddhism
Register in advance to receive the Zoom link
The texts for each course are available through the Nalanda bookstore.
Please order texts at least 2 weeks in advance of each course.
Contact: Susan Kirchoff email@example.com
Fees for each course:
- General: $65
- Nalandabodhi members: $40
- Students repeating the course: $20
- Scholarships: available upon request
- Donations for the scholarship fund: may be made in $10 increments, $10 – $100
Mahayana 302: Kindling the Spark of Awakening
Sept. 28 – Nov. 23
- Sept. 28: The Two Main Avenues to Bodhicitta
- Oct. 5: Practicum: The Sevenfold Cause-and-Effect Instruction on Generating Bodhicitta
- Oct. 12: Traveling from Planet Ego to the Universe of Altruism: The Eight Verses on Mind Training
- Oct. 19: The Seven Points of Mind Training (1): Preliminaries and Training in Ultimate Bodhicitta
- Oct. 2: Practicum: Connecting with Ultimate Bodhicitta
- Nov. 2: The Seven Points of Mind Training (2): The Main Practice, which is Training in Bodhicitta
- Nov. 9: Practicum: The Meditation of Sending and Taking (Tonglen)
- Nov. 16: The Seven Points of Mind Training (3): Taking Adverse Conditions onto the Path and Completing the Training in Life and Death
- Nov. 23: The Seven Points of Mind Training (4): Evaluating, Disciplines and Guidelines